Thursday, November 26, 2009

26/11 - A Year Later

It has become fashionable to ask, critically and in the tone of angry righteous rhetoric, about what (or how much) has changed in the last one year. Just as it was fashionable, in the wake of the attacks on this day exactly one year ago, to ask in much the same tone, as to who was responsible for the lapses that allowed such an outrageous assault to take place, and what was being done about it.

As a Mumbaikar, as an Indian, and as a global citizen, all that I've done in the last one year (other than blogging about it a few days later) boils down to: (a) casting my vote diligently when elections were held, and (b) speaking to the local MLA once (at a meeting he had requested for, with members of the housing complex that I live in), about security in the post 26/11 world, and other issues that were specific to our neighbourhood and local community.

I have no moral right to criticize those who haven't done 'enough', and I have only words of appreciation and gratitude for those who've actually done something constructive about it, whatever that may be.

Of course, I continue to hope and pray for a world that chooses to eschew hatred and embrace love, eschew anger and embrace compassion. And in my own small humble sort of way, I spread soft and gentle messages of peace and harmony, where and when needed.

You do what you have to. 

Posted via email from HyperActiveX's (Pre)Posterous Posts

blog comments powered by Disqus