Saturday, August 20, 2011

Reflection on Self-righteousness and Reflexivity

Every time I come across someone accusing someone else of being self-righteous I am reminded of Gödel Escher Bach and self-referential logic.

If you break it down to basics, this is how it goes:
1. It is wrong to be self-righteous (unstated premise, based on moral values)
2. You are self-righteous (observation)
3. You are therefore wrong (derived from #1 and #2)
4. I am not self-righteous (implicit in #2 -- since I am calling you out on this)
5. I am therefore right (derived from #1 and #4)
6. I am more righteous than you (inferred from #3 and #5) 

Who is being self-righteous now? (wink wink nudge nudge)

The accusation of hypocrisy, on the other hand, is free from reflexive contradiction. But I will let you reflect on that.

In any case, it pays to be a little circumspect when taking moral positions.

Posted via email from HyperActiveX's (Pre)Posterous Posts

blog comments powered by Disqus